Friday, February 01, 2008

Political rant

The bourgeoisie. Or the right wing in the political field, whatever you like to call them. I can't understand them. To me, to declare oneself as bourgeois, is about as offensive as to admit to being racist or Nazi. It's as if you'd tell everyone that you like to inflict pain on other people and watch them suffer. It's like declaring yourself as superior to the common people. It's like saying that I'm entitled to own a SUV, you're not, and maybe you can wipe my windshield in the traffic lights but I'll spit in your face and drive over your toes when the light turns green.

It might be just my fault. Maybe I've got it all wrong. It could be that the right wing just has not been able to get their message across to me. It might be that I've just been brainwashed enough by my parents so that I can't see anything good about them. But it's funny, because I think that I should be in their target audience. I'm urban and relatively white collar, but still I don't get their message. But do I even know what they are advocating or am I blinded by my prejudice?

Let's see.... the site www.kokoomus.fi (the web pages of the most popular national right wing party) is as mind-numbingly boring as you'd except from a mainstream political party. The only provocative thing that I can see is a news item about Kokoomus members being active in some kind of church-related election. Yeah, way to lick the elderly conservatives. It seems that I'll just have to compress their political program myself:
1) I'm better than you, because I do (or will) earn more money than you, and therefore more privileged
2) Things should be kept that way, forever. Oh yeah, and my kids are better than you, too.

To me it seems that they're really wanting to preserve class society. Like, we're the factory owners, you're the workers, and we're going to rip you off. I can't understand why anybody who doesn't own at least one factory would vote right wing. But yet large masses of people do. Haven't they realized that, by definition, the masses can't be elite? And, as a result of this logic, the bourgeoisie, who should be a minority, are ruling. Democracy doesn't work. And it's our fault.

To me, the most uncomprehensible thing in the political field is the young conservative. It's an oxymoron of a kind. Like "currently I'm slaving as a clerk at this kiosk (because I'm studying business related stuff), but I'm aiming to be the head of a conglomerate some day, so I'll vote conservative, instead of the party that would like to improve my working conditions". "I'm the future dictator, so I'll support the current dictator, even though he'll probably cut my head off."

But then again, what are the alternatives? I don't know. The left wing does not fill me with trust (0ne youthful candidate is not going to do it). I'm not half swedish or a religious nutcase. The green party might be just a decoy for the urban conservatives, and their best guy just left. Where is the political party with fresh ideas and no past ballast?

Non-voting is seeming to look a like an option here. And maybe some brick-hurling would be in place...

1 comment:

Jimbo said...

People, who are wealthy, don't want to be or become poor. So they want low taxes. Right wing ensures them that, because they don't believe in social issues, they believe everyone should cope on their own. Wealthy people are well-dressed and drive fine cars and live in their nice houses, so even some poor people think that those are the things they should have and right wing promises that if they try hard enough, they will prosper as well. Unfortunately it doesn't go that way very often. To some get richer, there has to be those who get poorer. Even if it's not happening here in rich west, it's happening somewhere else. That sucks. That's why those right wing bastards should burn in hell. If there was one. Damn.

One thing I don't understand are the people who run their tiny businesses and say: "I have to support Kokoomus, because they are the one and only party for entrepreneur". What about then, if he/she becomes sick and can't run his/hers tiny business? Does Kokoomus help him/her? No in hell it won't. They might say "try harder" instead. And what about when the tiny company goes down, what they will say then? "There's always a next time" they say. In Japan things are more simple. When things go bad in business, they kill themselves. In Finland we still thankfully have the social secure system, that ensures some kind of salvation, if you don't wanna end up in dirt. And that system is not up there thanks to fucking Kokoomus. I have been unemployed and used social services, so I know they are a salvation in bad times like the economical depression in Finland in the early 1990s. Maybe there should be another heavy economical slump that people would understand that the lifestyle of expanding and economical growth in expense of social and healthcare services is not acceptable. We need the safety nets, we don't need lower taxes.