Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Politics!

Today is a national holiday. You can tell because there are flags everywhere. I was hoping it to be a holiday that has its own bakery product, like Runeberg's day. But then I found out it's Kalevala day instead. No bakery product. Gonna have to invent my own tart of Kalevala, if I want something sweet today.

But on to today's topic. Politics! Oh baby. There's an election coming, and I thought I'd write down my thoughts about selecting who to vote. It's not easy, because I don't have strong opinions about politics (i.e. I haven't been brainwashed enough by my parents). Instead, I have vague impressions about political parties that I have gathered over the years from I-don't-know-where. There are parties that I dislike, so these are non-options for me: there are the intolerant bourgeois rednecks, the intolerant countryside rednecks, the intolerant god-worshipping rednecks and the intolerant white trash rednecks. Then there is the party with outdated ideals and no real solutions for anything, the even more outdated idealistics, and the lame, patronising party. I refuse to vote anybody belonging to these parties, even if they had competent, nice politicians as individual members. I just dislike the parties.

So I guess that leaves only one option, the Green party. I'm not so passionate about them, but that environment is a nice thing to have. And they seem to be more tolerant than the others, which I like. Then there is still the grueling task of finding a suitable candidate. A guy or a chick? I don't know. Maybe it doesn't matter. I guess I'll just find the first candidate that mentions bicycling on their website and vote for him/her. Then maybe they'll do something about the cycle path network. That's often just crap. At least I'll have someone to complain to, when I get annoyed about the cycle paths. Oh yeah, must remember to choose someone that actually has a chance to get elected.

If there were a very silly candidate, I'd sure be tempted to vote for them. Well, beside the unintentional clowns (i.e. celebrity candidates and other, well, clowns), there is this clown, but his brand of clownery doesn't quite do it for me. It's more like endless, far-fetched bullshit vaguely related to the topic at hand. I prefer deadpan comedy.

And that concludes this in-depth political analysis. Hopefully this made the selection of candidate easier for you. I do think it's important to vote for somebody, if only to prevent the pensioners from totally taking over.

No comments: